The Buckingham Quilt Today
After almost 350 years, the living descendant and trustee, who wishes to remain anonymous, has chosen to no longer enshrine and isolate The Buckingham Quilt but instead open it up to provide opportunities to challenge and enhance our understanding of the past:
"The Buckingham Quilt is important to us as a way to approach the past. It provides us a way into history. It is a touchstone that bring memories and meanings to life. It makes history real. Moreover, it is a reality that can and should be viewed from different perspectives. Looking closely at this artifact, putting it into historical context, and using it to understand the past, is exactly what we need to do."
- Prior to The Buckingham Quilt being unveiled to the public the oldest dated quilt in North America was in the McCord Museum in Montreal, Canada, circa 1726. It is believed it was made in England in the 18th century and brought to Canada in the early 19th century.
- The most expensive quilt ever sold at auction is a Civil War-era quilt known as the Reconciliation Quilt, circa 1867. It was bought for $264,000 at Sotheby’s in 1991. It is now at the International Quilt Study Center at the University of Nebraska .
- Considering the unique history of The Buckingham Quilt, circa 1665, it is now recognized as a historical artifact from the New England Colonies, and the oldest surviving quilt in North America.
- Given its historical value, it's been incredibly difficult to put a monetary value on The Buckingham Quilt as there is no other like it. Both the research team and several institutions could find no records of sale, auction or otherwise for any quilts with similar historical value and age; therefore, the research team came to a consensus that the value is $2 Million USD.
- The direct living descendant and trustee believes that this textile belongs in a facility or private collection where it would be valued as part of our Nation's history, conserved in its present condition and properly stored; for that reason, any reasonable offer would be entertained.
If you or your organization are interested in acquiring The Buckingham Quilt, please contact use the contact form below.